Cross browser/platform playback for video
This article explains how to provide cross browser / platform playback of your video content.
Whilst MP4 video will playback across most desktop browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari) and mobile devices (iOS, Android). There is a limitation in Firefox for Mac that does not currently support MP4 video. To provide a true HTML5 cross browser experience you also need to provide a WebM version of your video.
Inserting an MP4 video
- Right click on the page where you want to insert the video.
- Select Insert Webcontrol from the menu.
- Then hover over Multimedia, and select Video Player, the Video Player web control properties screen will open.
- The screen will default to the Video Properties tab, under the video title press the blue browse button to locate an MP4 video file in the content browser.
- Select a check box next to a content item in the project explorer and press Save, the file you selected will be populated within the Video input box.
- Press Save to insert the video into your page.
- The content browser will only show folders in the project explorer where video content exists
- Its possible to select from the MP4, WebM and FLV video content types.
- OGV/OGG video is not available due to limited browser support
Inserting a fallback video
The steps for adding a fall back are the same as inserting an MP4 video, however in step 5, you will need to use the content selector in the section labelled Alternate video to select a WebM version of your video from the content browser.
Note: Whilst its possible to use a FLV file as your fallback, this relies on the user having the Flash Plugin installed to play the video, so WebM is the recommended format in this instance.
To customise the layout options of the player read our article on video player layout options.
Was this article helpful?