In Contensis, the recycle bin acts in much the same way as the recycle bin you might find in a desktop operating system. User permissions determine what you will see in the recycle bin. Items in the recycle bin can be restored or deleted individually, its also possible to completely empty the recycle bin.
As a system administrator you will see all content that has been deleted by all users across the current project, the grid allows you to locate content deleted by a particular user, date deleted and by its original location in the Project Explorer.
A non system administrator will only see the content that they have deleted.
Find the recycle bin
- Select the project that you want to view the recycle bin for from the project selector which can be found below the project explorer.
- Go to the Management Console by pressing on the Cog Icon in the Project Explorer tray.
- You'll find the Recycle Bin link in the sidebar. Press the link to be taken to the recycle bin.
Restore items from the recycle bin
- You can easily restore the content on a users behalf by selecting the item in the grid and clicking the restore selected button in the bottom toolbar.
- If there is an individual item you want to restore, click the restore icon in the row of content.
If the location the file originated from no longer exists you will be asked to select a new location.
Permanently delete items in the recycle bin
Warning: in previous versions of Contensis it would be easy to restore content items that were deleted. When permanently deleting items from the recycle bin, the only way of restoring will be via a database restore.
- To delete an individual item or folder permanently click Delete Permanently in the content row. You will be prompted to confirm deletion.
- Alternatively to delete multiple items, place a check in the checkboxes in the grid that you want to delete and click the Delete Selected button in the bottom toolbar, again you will be prompted to confirm deletion.
Empty the recycle bin
To completely remove all content from the recycle bin, press the Empty Recycle Bin button in the bottom toolbar. You will see a confirmation message summarising what will be deleted before finalising a mass deletion.
Set the retention period for recycle bin items
You can set how long you want an item to remain in the recycle bin before being removed from both the recycle bin and from the database. The default is 60 days.
- Click through to the Management Console by clicking on View Management Console in either the top navigation bar or the Project Explorer tray.
- Expand your Project Overview menu, click the Settings tab.
- Find the setting named RecycleBin_DeleteAfterDays.You can edit this and set a longer or a shorter date.
Was this article helpful?