Create and assign master page templates
You’ll need to assign the Master Page Template content type to your project and to the folder where you intend to store you master page templates. Usually this will be something like a SiteElements\MasterPageTemplates folder in the root of your website. You can follow our Adding content types to projects and folders article to get you started.
Create the template
Create a template by using the content creation wizard and selecting Master Page Template.
Upon creation of the template the System Default template code will be inherited and placed in the code editor to get you started.
This System Default master page markup serves as a starting point for designing your own master page, you’ll need to keep the standard tags in your own master page, because they are needed for Contensis to be able to work. Validation runs on save to ensure that the required controls are included.
Refer to the master page template in depth article to learn more about the default markup.
Once you’ve made your changes, save and approve the template so that it can be assigned to your publishing server.
Assigning a master page template
Master Page Templates can be defined for a publishing server to be applied globally, or for a template for more granular templating.
Change the global master template
To change the default master page template assignment from the System Default follow the steps below.
- Open the Management Console, navigate to Project setup.
- Select Publishing Servers from the menu and locate your test server in the grid.
- Click on the Edit icon, the publishing server dialog will open.
- In the General Setting container you will find a dropdown labelled Default Master Template. Selecting the dropdown will display the available Master Page Templates to choose from.
- Choose the template you’ve created and press Save. The Navigation XML file will need to be published for the change to take effect.
Note: We recommend testing your master page template against your test server to ensure your site behaves as anticipated.
For a template
To change a template’s master page template assignment from the System Default use the steps below.
- Open the template you wish you change the master page of, open the Properties tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Properties page, you’ll see a dropdown titled Master Template.
- Select the Master Template you want from the list.
- Press Save and then Submit and Approve the page.
Was this article helpful?