Setup related items using relationships
Here we will explain the process of creating relationships between pages, allowing you to create a list of related articles.
The type of relationship will determine how the relationship is displayed in the page and corresponding pages:
- Bidirectional: the pages specified in the relationship panel will be shown on the page currently being edited. The related pages will also display the page being edited.
- One way: the related page will only be displayed on the page where the relationship has been created.
- Group: all the pages put into the group will be shown as related to each other.
Before you can use relationships in your pages you will need to setup relationships and assign them to specific content type(s) and/or page template(s). Having multiple relationships ensures you only have them available to the parts of your site where they are needed.
- Open up the Management Console and click through to Project Setup and then to Relationships in the expanded menu.
- You will be shown a list of possible relationships. Click the Create Relationship button. A popup window will be generated.
- Give the relationship a name and choose a type of relationship, then click Save.
- Click on the page plus sign to choose what content type(s) and/or page template(s) you want the relationships to be available to.
Create a relationship
- Edit a page you want to add relationships to.
- Press the Relationships tab, the related articles panel will load.
- Drag an item of content from the project explorer into the relationship panel. Items can be ordered by dragging them in the list.
- A relationship has now been set between the page content and selected item, and will be displayed once the content has been submitted and approved.
You can display the relationship within your pages using the web controls we provide. There are two web controls that can be used to display the current pages related items.
The related items web control simply outputs an unordered list of the related pages for the current page.
Related items as standard list
This control differs to the related items control as there are many more configurable options including the ability to apply data filters to the control.
Was this article helpful?