Troubleshoot AD FS login problems
If you are having AD FS login problems then here are some things you might want to check are configured correctly and a debug step you could try.
- In the Management Console navigate to Global Settings.
- Look up the ContensisGuiURL setting and check if the Setting Value has https:// defined at the start of it (non-https will not work).
ADFS server configuration
Has the AD FS server been configured correctly Check this common cause of login problems very carefully - are all the necessary trusts and claims for Contensis present and configured correctly?
- In the Management Console navigate to Global Settings:
The ADFS_Enabled global setting should be set to 1.
The ADFS_MetadataEndpoint global setting should have the link to the metadata endpoint on your AD FS server. This will be in the following format:
- Double check that you can access this from the CMS server. To do this you can logon to the server and run the following command in PowerShell:
Invoke-WebRequest https://adfs.contensis.com/FederationMetadata/2007-06/FederationMetadata.xml - UseBasicParsing
If the metadata endpoint is configured correctly you should get a StatusCode of 200 and the Content will start with <EntityDescriptor....
Machine.config machinekey validation
- Open the machine.config file on your CMS server. It can be found in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config
- Search for the following <machineKey>, you will see something like:
<machineKey validationKey="E1D4A7ACE716CC17B9BE3F1794AB117E7CB771B878253727" decryptionKey="E8969B07BF46F3FF659E008495F1EA5163EBDC0E50B6024E" validation="SHA1"/>
Make sure that the validation property is set to SHA1 and not anything else. If it is set to something else, change it and then restart IIS.
Debug using verbose logging
Follow the steps below to setup tracing on IdentityServer and then attempt to login using AD FS or logout. Any issues should be seen in the logs.
Set up tracing on IdentityServer
- Add the xml above to the web.config file for the CMS instance, change the Contensis_DebugInfoLevel to Debug in the web.config.
- Ensure that the CMS has access to the directory specified in the initializeData setting.
- Save web.config.
Was this article helpful?