To allow Contensis users to start creating and managing content, folders, pages and templates an administrator needs to setup their permissions.
One of the main duties of an administrator is creating new users and user groups, and giving them associated permissions for content types such as Word and Excel documents, Templates, Style Sheets, Images etc. Page permissions are given by assigning permissions on templates which are assigned to folders and used to create pages
All permissions can be set sitewide by using the folder properties of the project root folder and clicking the Propagate Permissions option to copy the settings down through all folder levels. Alternatively, you can set each folder to have different content and template permissions - its up to you.
Before starting to create users, groups or assigning permissions it is recommended that you have a good idea of the project structure so you can begin planning who can view, edit or manage the various areas of that project. Break the project down into a sensible folder structure, defining which groups are needed and which folders they may need to view or administrate.
For example a group called Human Resource Editors may only need to be given permissions to: View the Root Folder, View the Human Resources Folder, and be given Create and Edit permissions for content types such as Images, Word Documents and Web Pages in that folder. Whereas a group called Human Resource Managers may be given all the above permissions plus permissions to administrate the folders, or delete pages and content.
Running through a project like this beforehand and making some written notes can make the process more logical to set up and much easier to return to at a later date if any permissions need to change.
When the system is initially installed, the following default users are created;
- Admin – Administrator account, only user account that is created on install
- Public User – System Account that is used for anonymous users on the published websites
- Forms User – System Account used for forms processing
- Deleted User – System Account which is used in audit trail when a user is deleted
- Services User – System Account that is used for all service related operations
- Access the Management Console in the normal way.
- Click through to User Management and click on the green Create User button, a popup window will appear.
- Enter in a username, password and confirm the password.
- You can optionally choose to force the user to change their password at next logon. This is recommended so the user can create their own secure password.
- Click Save. The new user account will now be created.
- Still in the User Management screen, simply select a user / users by ticking the box to the left of their username.
- Click on the red Delete User(s) button. The selected users will now be removed from Contensis.
Manage users with Active Directory (AD)
You can utilise Active Directory Synchronisation to automatically create Contensis users from your AD installation. You can also use Active Directory Update to update your AD records when a user updates their details within Contensis.
Add users to a group
- Open up the Management Console and click through to Global user Groups.
- Find the user group you want to add a user to and click on the edit link in the far right of the table. This will generate a popup window.
- Click on the tab labelled User in Group, to see a list of all users inside this group.
- Click on the green Add User(s) button. A second popup window will appear giving you a list of all the users within the system.
- You can select or deselect as many users as you like on this screen. When you are finished simply click Save.
Add a user to multiple groups
- Open up the Management Console and click through to User Management.
- Find the user you want to edit and click on the edit link in the far right of the table. This will generate a popup window.
- Click on the tab labelled User Groups, to see a list of all groups this user is inside.
- Click on the green Add Group(s) button, a second popup window will appear giving you a list of all the groups within the system.
- You can select or deselect as many groups as you like on this screen. When you are finished click Save.
Automate group administration with AD
If you are using Active Directory then you can automate this process by utilising the Active Directory Synchronisation feature within Contensis, allowing you to import all of your current user accounts with all their groups intact inside Contensis as well. This can also work the other way by utilising the Active Directory Update functionality.
Add users to a project
Users are not independently added to a project, they are first added to a User Group, and the User Group is then added to a project. This allows a simpler, more controlled way of defining and updating user permissions within the system and across multiple projects.